Sunday 7 April 2019

The Vagaries of 7 April, 2019

This is just going to be a mish-mosh of the vagaries in my mind of late. I have been horrendously busy, but also feeling pretty punk. I haven't had much by way of energy, but I think the shitty cold is on its way out.  I'm glad of this because today I drove to Maitland, and caught the train to Newcastle Interchange to check out the Newcastle Writers Festival. I wasn't able to see as much as I would have liked, but I had a nice day. Newcastle has a gorgeous foreshore and marvellous old buildings in the CBD. City Hall, where I went today, is just a glorious sight to behold, and oh-so-sumptuous on the inside. It kind of reminds me of an old art deco theatre. On my way home, I called by Bunnings and purchased a cantilever umbrella to put over my outdoor setting in the back patio area of my house, and I'm just thrilled to bits. Seriously, how frigging boring is my life this week?

I've also been busy doing some writing jobs, which have been procured via Air Tasker. Even though it's not for myself per se, it is nice to actually earn as a writer properly. It's keeping that lupine beast from the door, in any event.

Speaking of writing, I've promised someone I will promote something she published on Kindle Direct. It's called After the Meeting Was Cancelled, and the author is SP Baylan. It's a short story in the erotica genre. I'm in an online writing community, and we promote each other's works. It's my turn to promote hers, so I'm keeping my promise. It can be purchased from Amazon. My books can be purchased from Amazon, too. (What was that loud thud? Must have been the heavy hint I dropped).

Sigh. 'Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the horse racing legend Winx and her team 'epitomise' the idea of 'a fair go for those who have a go'.'  I'm quoting from what I read today. Again: sigh.  Scomo, Winx is a fucking horse, okay? Most of us aren't racehorses. And what happens if we have a go and fail; do we get turned into a pot of Perkins Paste, or a tin of Pal? Get out of Parliament, you twit. 

 I'm finishing this on a sad note, which is probably adding to the malaise brought about by the combination of tiredness, remnants of the flu, adjustment to reinstated Australian Eastern Standard Time, and a big day out: I learned about the death of someone I had considered a mate in the past. This was someone I knew back in my legal days, a someone very well liked by the criminal law fraternity. Out of respect for his indigenous heritage, I won't say his name, but if you don't know, he was the Aboriginal lawyer who played for the Wallabies but declined to play as an honorary white against the Springboks. Anyway, this Friday night (as I did on many a Friday night years ago) I will be raising my glass and toasting your memory, Sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment