Wednesday 24 April 2019

Reflections on ANZAC Day 2019

I'm just taking it relatively easy today. I've not been rostered, but I didn't attend the Dawn Service this year on this most solemn of days. I generally do, but I slept all through it this time. I have been working a lot, so I decided I need to attend to self-care today.

My husband didn't march this year, but our son did, wearing his great-grandfather's medals (WWII). Very, very proud. I haven't been doing much for ANZAC Day this year, but I have had my own quiet reflection. I live not far from a pub, and I can hear a boisterous game of two-up, if the intermittent roars and cheers are anything to go by.  There does not appear to have been too much of the woke AF anti-ANZAC sentiment about this year. Honestly, these people make me ashamed to have the left-leaning politics I do. I seriously don't care if you people don't care for ANZAC Day, but how about you all stop trying to be deliberately inflammatory about it? The reason you have carte blanche to spout your obnoxious twaddle is largely due to the sacrifices made by some scared young men 114 years ago, so think about others for a change, okay? When there has been a shitstorm in the media over posts and tweets from certain well-known types, they tend to play victim. In some instances, when they've received threats and been stalked, it's understandable they'd feel aggrieved. I do not support threats being made, either. But for the love of God, if you're going to poke the bear, don't act surprise if it swipes you. If you're going to dance with the Devil, don't complain when a series of cloven-hoof shaped scorch marks sullies your parquetry, okay? I personally do not issue threats or nasty abuse, but will call out bullshit when I see it. I'm actually a gentle person, so I am surprised, and incredibly amused, to see I have been blocked on Twitter by some shitgibbon who is notorious for being deliberately offensive and provocative regarding ANZAC Day.

What else have I been up to lately? Well, I downloaded Sha La La La Lee by the Small Faces onto my iPod. Should put more of their stuff on, too. I've always loved Itchycoo Park, so I'm surprised I haven't put that one on, instead of going for Sha La La La Lee, but I've had the latter in my head, so that's probably why I chose it. My musical tastes are very broad, and I do love me a bit of Sixties Brit Pop and Mod. Steve Marriott was an awesome front man with a firecracker of a voice, and the world is a poorer place without him.

Well, I've got some poetry to analyse, so I'd best get on with it.

Lest we forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment