Wednesday 10 July 2019

Working on the Holidays

I'm officially on holidays at the moment, but the work never ceases. However, it's work I'm enjoying because it's all about ME! I've been promoting Howling on a Concrete Moon, so hopefully people will buy it, and enjoy it, and tell all their friends about it, who will then all buy it, and I will get such a whopping fabuloso royalty cheque, I will be able to retire and write full time, and that way we AAAAALLLLL benefit! I'm aware this sounds like a very Rube Goldberg seemingly tenuous connection, but a gal can dream, can't she?

Anyway, if you care, this is what I've been up to lately:

1. Yesterday, I pre-recorded an interview with my local AM station, which will go to air next Monday. I will share the link accordingly. I have made an autographed copy of the book available for the 'first lucky caller', and hopefully someone will ring up and score themselves a copy, and enjoy it. If nobody rings, I am going to feel very like I used to feel at high school dances, sitting on the orange plastic moulded chairs, not being asked to dance, whilst other kids formed a helix around each other in time to Hopelessly Devoted to You.

2. Today, I dropped a copy of the book to my local ABC station in order that the journalists could have a quick read before an interview is scheduled. I also rang a bookstore in a nearby town with a view to organising an in-store appearance. I did an appearance there years ago, promoting Abernethy (http://www.zeus-publications.com/abernethy.htm). Abernethy is a story about a lonely fourteen-year-old who befriends a talking beagle. The back cover clearly states this, and I also told browsers who picked up the copy for a perusal. Some people asked, 'Is it a true story?' I said it was all fiction, and bit back an almost insurmountable urge to sarcastically suggest they take more care when rinsing the pesticides off the fruit.

3. Put You're Still My Favourite Girlfriend, Alice Long on my iPod. Most of you would know I like Sixties music, and this is a particular favourite of mine. I suspect it might be the production values, and that it was recorded by people who had some talent, which these days appears to be an aside, instead of a prerequisite, when recording music.

4. Put If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark on my iPod. Most of you know I seriously loathe Eighties music as a rule, but this one I like. Reminds me of a time when I didn't have to worry about bills. I know it conjures up images of that twit from Two & A Half Men (not Charlie Sheen, the other one) at the school dance scene in Pretty in Pink (and seriously, how lame was the Andrew McCarthy character in this film? At least the twit from Two & A Half Men had a bit of soul, and interesting lines).

5. Put Love Plus One by Haircut 100 on my iPod. Yes, again, it's Eighties, but it's a bit of pure pop, and not too bad.

6. Told my youngest I am NOT putting Country Roads by John Denver on the iPod. I don't it that much. Mr Bingells told me he heard our youngest telling his friends about 'the songs on Mum's iPod', and introducing them to various numbers I have on that little machine. As much as the kids can aggravate, it's always good to see them sharing a broad and eclectic taste in music. My youngest will in one breath listen to Motley Crue, and then put a picture of John Denver on our computer as the screen saver. I didn't know whether to laugh or scold him. When it comes to John, I think he was great, but I don't want that particular song on my iPod. I have put Calypso on there. Some people might think Calypso farty wankery, but I do like it.

Well, I'm going to curl upon the lounge for some Netflix at the moment. Mr Bingells is teaching Mister Eighteen the art of preparing a good apricot chicken, a skill that will prove advantageous when he is as university. University. Wow. Seems like only yesterday I peed on a stick and watched the pink line materialise.

No comments:

Post a Comment