Saturday 11 February 2017

Will You 'Like' This Post?

Okay, got an earworm for you, and if it drives you nuts, I apologise now.  As We Five sang in the Sixties: 'I've got trouble, whoa-oh, I've got worries, whoa-oh, I've got wounds to bind....'

Anyone who knows me, or has been reading my ramblings, knows I've been wading through a torrential river of shit awash with various hassles of late.  But the tide level of the shit-river is decreasing.  Mr Bingells is setting up and installing whatever must be installed on the new computer that arrived the other day.  My replacement washing machine and dryer are due this week, and I think my dishwasher is, as well. Replacement cupboards are not here yet, and our stuff is still crammed in boxes, and I'm trying to not let it do in my head. 

Yes, I've been bleating a bit about this personal bother of mine.  But if I have a beef with a person or entity, I'm not doing it here (except for the idiot that pulled out from Coles parking lot without looking and nearly rammed into my car).  You see, a fight on social media isn't always a good idea.  Like many, I spend too much time on social media, although I do enjoy it.  Therefore I have seen the story about the eighteen-year-old who was rejected for a position as a waitress in a steak house.  But it seems the sarcastic text from an agent/servant of the potential employer wasn't meant for the unsuccessful applicant.  Nonetheless, what I noticed was the servant/employee of the steak house said 'we're' where she meant 'were'.  Being an obnoxious grammar Nazi, this really shat me to tears. 

Also, to the unsuccessful applicant: don't post this stuff online.  If you were rejected, and told why, have a word with yourself and see about addressing the traits that worked against you in this application.  It will not surprise anybody to read that if an applicant continually said 'like' in an interview, I would start ruling a line through their name, as well.  I would also not employ a person who complained about potential (and obviously current) employers online.  Rest assured, all you job seekers out there, I am not in HR anywhere, so will not be hauling you over the coals as you sweat it out wondering am I responsible for you acquiring a pay cheque any time soon.  However, if I am interviewing you, and you sit there filling your answers with needless and erroneous 'likes', your name will be crossed off the list.  If you say 'would of' instead of 'would have', I will call security and have them remove you by the back of your collar and the seat of your pants - you will be carried to the front door and tossed in a cloud of ignominiousness to the street.  If I ask the annoying question, 'Why do you want this job?', and you reply, 'I don't.  What I want is to be sailing around the Bahamas on a yacht, sipping cocktails and having my brains banged out', I will high-five you for your honesty and the recognition of a kindred spirit, and welcome you to the team.

But I must away.  Away, like Fleance in Macbeth.  It's probably too hot to sit around making references to the Scottish play, and I've been invited to a friend's place to sit in her swimming pool and drink Sangria.  Look, I'm a reasonably cultured type, believe it or not (stop the guffaws - I AM!), and I do enjoy the language and themes of the Bard.  But here's the thing: the weather here is about 44 degrees Celsius today, and I know what would be preferable just at this point in time.

Here's the other thing.  I turned fifty-one years of age today.  I'm celebrating with this bud of mine.  So there.  Happy birthday to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment