Monday 30 October 2023

The One Where I Mention Kiss & Matthew Perry

I've been meaning to get back into blogging for ages, but I seem to be mired in other stuff. The other stuff generally revolves around work and study, the latter of which is going exceedingly well: two High Distinctions for assessments on teaching creatively and teaching children to read. My real-life creative teaching experiences entailed using a Kiss song to demonstrate trochaic word patters in poety and how they make the piece 'pop' for the reader. When I was on prac, I played Shout It Out Loud whilst cleaning the whiteboard to demonstrate my point. I never thought I'd contextualise Kiss with TS Eliot, but this is exactly what I did.

And speaking of the garishly bedaubed quartet, I saw them! Yeppers, I travelled to Sydney with my two sons, and a friend of my oldest son, playing Destroyer as I drove. I was reminded of that late Nineties flick, Detroit Rock City, which tells of four friends endeavouring to get to a Kiss concert after the misguided mother of one of them burns their tickets. Look, the film is no Citizen Kane, but it's enjoyable enough in a mindless way. I was reminded of the movie because we were blaring Kiss songs, as well as the fact my nineteen-year-old, who has long hair, looked a bit like the James DeBello character in Detroit Rock City. Of course, there was a glaring difference: the mother in this scenario was not going to stop her offspring and their friends enjoying the concert. Au contraire, she was tagging along to rock out, too! As an aside, my cousin and one of his sons came along with us. And oh-my-freaking-lord, what great concert it was. 

The death of actor Matthew Perry has really bummed me out. Feeling saddened is not unusual for me; the sudden death of a still-young person is sad. But Perry's death really put me in a funk. I don't know why; I'm not a huge Friends fan. I watched if I couldn't be bothered channel-surfing, but the show was never a must-see for me. I hated Ross and Rachel with the intensity of a small sun. What a whiny prat she was and what an imbecile he was! Maybe I'm cracking the sads because Chandler, the character played by Perry, was my favourite on the show. 

Perry's death has brought out the virtue signalling snot balls on the Internet. I read a tweet from someone who felt it imperative to point out to be careful about what was shared about Perry because, according to this sook, Chandler on Friends made comments that could be construed as hurtful to the LGBTQI community. Uh, Friends was made in the Nineties, everyone (in case some of you missed it). And correct me if I'm wrong, but this show featured a lesbian couple raising a son. I don't know if Chandler made many transphobic comments regarding the issue he had with his father, who performed in a Les Girls type of cabaret, and who was played by Kathleen Turner.  A lot of shows from decades gone by could be considered problematic, if one looks hard enough. What's that they say? Seek and ye shall find. So, being of somewhat sensible persuasion, I replied to this clown, asking was he aware that Matthew Perry was an ACTOR reciting lines for which he was not responsible? For my trouble, I found myself unable to view any more of this gronk's tweets. 

Oh well, I better get on with my studying.

Rock on, Kiss; and RIP, Matthew Perry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment