Wednesday 4 November 2020

Social Influencers (Why?)

There are things that make me squint and say, 'Why?' Back in the Nineties, it was the whole supermodel thing. I would read a glossy women's mag, and these mags usually had a smoke-blowing puff piece on one or more of these women, and I'd read the gushy prose, then squint and go, 'Why?' I have never understood the adulation heaped upon a woman just because she's taller than average and deemed to have some genetic advantage which sees her in a role that really just boils down to being a glorified coat hanger. 

Fast forward a little, and I found myself squinting and going 'Why?' at anything associated with Big Brother, and in natural progression, any reality television show. 

These days, it's the phenomenon of social media influencers. Seriously: Why? What is the point? I guess I get annoyed because they appear to have some over-inflated sense of entitlement and were brains dynamite, they would all possess insufficient to blow the snot from their noses. I was just reading about one such creature who was informed she would not be allowed on a flight because her outfit was not suitable. Maybe you read it, too. I'm not going to put a picture of her outfit here because I don't want to give her more of the publicity she's craving, but it was an extremely low-cut top in a leopard print pattern, and she posted a photograph of herself in the outfit and she had a matching face mask. Oh, and the face mask was only over her mouth, not her nostrils, so she might have just not bothered wearing the thing. I love me some leopard print, but here's the thing, dearie: your top contravened the airline's dress code.

The code states people cannot wear clothing that is obscene or lewd. If you're wearing a top that is low enough to get a case of the bends, then it's not appropriate for the airline. How can she not see this? Her outfit would have rocked had she been going to a party or nightclub, but this is an airline with families travelling. Furthermore, they are a business and have a right to enforce a dress code. If you purchase a ticket, then it is implicit that you are agreeing to comply with that code. 

So, this influencer (again: why?) posted a piteous, poor-me bleat about how the airline made her feel 'humiliated, embarrassed and highly offended'. Oh, spare me (and learn to use an Oxford comma).  She said she felt the staff were saying her breasts are too large and she has no control over the size of her breasts. In theory, this is true. Unless you're contemplating surgery, you don't have control over the size of your breasts. However, I am highly dubious the staff were criticising her over the size of her mams; their problem lay in the expanse exposed mam flesh! And in the circumstances, the outfit simply was not appropriate!

Why do people have to be so damned obtuse and stupid? Maybe the answer lies with the Uber driver who has just pulled up at her front door with the attention she ordered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment