Sunday 22 November 2020

Heel & Heal

 I'm taking the time from admiring my coral-coloured toenails to write this post. I've been in a bit of a daze over the past few days; I daresay this is because the world is resuming a semblance of some normalcy. Borders between Victoria and New South Wales have re-opened, so I might take trip down to the Garden State some time soon. I do have the time because today I officially commenced long service leave. I have never before been in a job long enough to accrue this, and I must say it's left me feeling dazed. I had originally planned to travel overseas en famille, but Covid-19 shit on those plans copiously and from a great height. Therefore, any travel to be done will probably be around good old New South Wales, and I might pop into Victoria. 

Today, was another first for me: I had a pedicure. Yep, never in my over half-century on this planet have I had a pedicure, so I decided today was the day. To my pleasant surprise, the chair in which I sat as my Size 9's soaked had an inbuilt massage system that sensuously and expertly rubbed and pressed up and down my spine. I will definitely be doing this again.

Another thing that is resuming normality is the displeasured tweets that are appearing in my socials. The problem with producing a work of art is that you simply cannot please all the people all the time. No matter what the subject, someone is going to be miffed or offended; occasionally with good reason and other times the offended parties should pick a better hill to die on (or upon which to die, as my grammatical pedantry would prefer). A planned production of Hedwig & The Angry Inch has been canned after lobbying from the trans community because the lead role was to be played by Hugh Sheridan, a cis male actor. If you're not in the loop, the titular character is transgendered. I understand the trans community would prefer to be represented by a trans actor, but why the cancellation of this show has annoyed me is the arts community and industry has suffered horrendously during this pandemic, and with the cancellation of the show there are going to be people out of an income, and these people have likely been struggling to find work during this craptacular time. Also, there goes a nice night out to the theatre for people. I strongly support LGBTQI causes and can understand why the trans community get angered at trans actors missing roles of trans characters. Also, in movies and television, the trans community is nearly always portrayed in a way that sees them fetishised or an object of ridicule, and I, too, would be angry at being portrayed thus when I'm a human being with needs and wants, my own opinions, my own likes and dislikes, my own kinks and ideas that are sexually abhorrent, my own ideas on whether to have sugar in tea or add milk first when making instant coffee etc etc etc. I just get so mad when a show gets cancelled, that's all. By all means point out any disgruntlement with casting, themes, plot, or element of production, but let's not make negative impact upon other people's income. I'm aware what I've said is going to annoy people, but what I've said might resonate with some others. All I can say is, I don't mean any offence, but am just looking at a broader picture. 

That's me done for the time being. I have a lesson to prepare - although on long service, I am still tutoring. 

The past few years have been crazy, but now might be the time to heal. I mentioned this to Mr Bingells, and he pointed at my pedicured feet and made a dad-joke punning 'heal' and 'heel' that was enough to rupture the fabric of time and space with its sheer dad-joke dreadfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment