Thursday 16 May 2019

My Mental Meanderings

Strange things go through my mind at times. Strange things possess me to do strange things, like check the Billboard 100 for the year 1979. I don't know why I did it, either. If you're wondering what the WORST offerings on that list are, wonder no more, because here they are:

1. 'D'Ya Think I'm Sexy' by Rod Stewart. This, I must admit, is a very guilty pleasure of mine, but it's one thousand shades of just plain bloody WRONG!  Ladies, if you were in a bar and a thirty-something man with a shaggy mullet, and a nose like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and wearing tight spandex approached you and asked this very question, would the answer be 'yes'?

2.  'Sharing the Night Together' by Dr Hook. Kind of evokes similar shuddery reactions as the song above. Dennis Lecorriere has a very nice voice, but honestly, I don't think this band ever sang a song that didn't make the enamel peel from my teeth in strips.

3. 'I Was Made For Dancin'' by Leif Garrett. It's just so, so CHEESY. Cheesy enough to clog up your arteries and constipate you. Teen idols of questionable talent recording songs is not necessarily a good thing. But don't worry, I have a confession. When aged twelve, I bought an album that was a compilation of songs recorded by him; covers like 'Runaround Sue' (it was better when Dion did it because there's something obnoxious about a sixteen-year-old singing lyrics suggesting he's a lothario), and 'Surfin' USA' (again, much better in the hands of the Beach Boys), and 'Put Your Head on My Shoulder' (can't remember who did original, but Potsie Webber did it really well on 'Happy Days').

Anyway, enough of my mental meanderings at the moment. Got some stuff to think about - nothing too taxing, it mainly involves bringing in my sheets from the clothesline.

RIP, Bob Hawke. Thanks for the Medicare, and making it illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender. Probably the most relatable and ballsy prime minister I can remember in my lifetime. Oh, Keating was ballsy, too, but I don't know if he was relatable. That being said, I kind of liked Keating and think we need another one. At least Paul Keating's insults were so clever, it was almost an honour to be insulted by him. It's like a television show or movie being satirised by MAD Magazine - a movie or television show is not considered a hit until it has been satirised by MAD.


No comments:

Post a Comment