Tuesday 7 July 2015

Q and no A

I am loathe to use the argument about 'my tax payer dollars are funding'.  It's an argument I've always considered facile and annoying.  But I'm kind of pissed off, because I presume it's my tax payer dollars funding whatever inquiry into the ABC's 'Q&A' program, in particular the episode from a few weeks ago where an audience member made distasteful comments.  Subsequently, particularly the episode screened a week later, host Tony Jones stated had they been aware of some distasteful tweets this audience member had made regarding two female journalists, they would not have allowed him to speak.  Fair enough, and who has time to look at the Twitter accounts of every prospective member of the public who wishes to ask a question and/or book a seat at the ABC studio audience?  I'm quite sure some of the previous panellists have made comments that some would find offensive, too. 

The fallout has seen Prime Minister Abbott blathering that 'heads should roll', kind of like the Red Queen in 'Alice in Wonderland'. 

He has also banned his front bench for appearing on the program.  Seriously, what a cock.  This appears to me to be problematic because he's moaning and groaning and farting on that 'Q&A' comprises of a 'lefty lynch mob', but won't let his cabinet appear to provide some 'balance', and answer some questions.  When I heard this, I had this vision of Abbott bawling and roaring like Fred Flinstone at his most belligerent.

But I'm wondering if this inquiry is just some straw at which the Government is grasping in an attempt to have 'Q&A' removed.  I'd hate to see this happen; they occasionally have some fascinating people appearing as guests.  And getting back to my original paragraph, I reckon it's going to be a waste of money.

Speaking of guests, I was surprised to find myself nodding along with Larissa Waters last night.  She has given me the irrits in the past by pushing parents to not buy gender-specific toys for their children (hey, my kids like what they like, and it's not dollies, okay?).  I was wondering what dungheap of a comment was going to get up my nose last night.  But she spoke impressively to a doctor-in-training in the audience, and the government's disgraceful attempts to silence medical staff who attempt to speak out/report signs of child abuse on people in detention.  This is sickening.

Tomorrow, I must continue doing the corrections on my manuscript for my latest offering.  I've gone through and handwritten on the papers, so now must do the corrections on the computer.  Then it's time to read it all AGAIN.  This is the part of writing I both hate, and like.  I hate it because it's tedious, and you have to kill your darlings as the saying goes.  But I like it because some really wonderful stuff materialises. 

Oh, and it looks like I've been blocked from commenting on a certain so-called 'news' page's Facebook articles.  Mr Bingells says I'm not to whinge because 'they' have removed the batteries from my toy.  My comments are no more obnoxious than anybody else's, and they are at least correctly worded and punctuated.  I do not get the work experience kid to write my stuff.  This has never happened to me before, and I am confused by it.  Other comments on that particular site are often nastier than mine, but they usually agree with what the author has said.  What can I say, but 'harrumph!' and 'pffffft!'

No comments:

Post a Comment